Wednesday, October 9, 2013

And So It Begins...

It's that time of year when food is my enemy!! There are chocolate covered marshmallow pumpkins, candy corn, snack size candy bars, pies, cakes, casseroles, etc., CALLING MY NAME! This is not good for someone who has lost nearly 15lbs and is in great fear of gaining it back. Pretty soon we'll be turning on the heat in the house and wanting to stay in more and that leads to boredom, which leads to eating! Good gosh, it's hard to change your lifestyle with all of this temptation around. I admit I have had a few slips here and there. Chocolate is my weakness and lately I've noticed a pattern where I am eating more of it a little at a time. This will lead to me needing and wanting other sugary items and I cannot let this get to me! So....I have decided that I will just need to work harder to work it off. That sounds like a compromise, right? I've increased my walking to 4 miles now and even though it's killing me, I am doing it. But let me tell you, at the 3 mile mark I always end up saying to myself "is it time to go?". I just keep on walking and bitching in my head the entire time. But let's face it, I am not going to get into a size 6 with that attitude. So, I digress....

In other news, I have decided to audition for a local production of "The Wizard of Oz". Yes, it's official, I've lost my mind. Having been a dancer & dance teacher from the ages of 12-24, I can handle the dance portion of the audition with no problems. It's the singing part that has me worried. Now, my father was always a great singer. We have great singers in our family; including my sister. I can carry a tune - I really can! It's not always pretty, but I could be one heck of a backup singer (with a mic turned down). But my friend, Robyn, encouraged me to audition and she said she'd sing with me (she will regret this!). Never mind that she's been on Broadway and actually has a voice of her own that is great! And that she runs this local theater group. So, I downloaded the original soundtrack from the movie and I listened to it on my walk this week. Let me tell you, this is great music to walk to! It's motivating and invigorating. Yes, I practiced a few songs out loud and no one looked at me. I'm not the only one who sings while they're walking at the Arboretum. I see people doing it every day. Whatever it takes to get you around that track, I say! (see picture of my walk below: I included a picture of the hill that always has me bitching!) I haven't decided which song to sing and does it really matter? I am going to butcher them all anyway! The audition is Monday night and I do not own any clothes that are appropriate for a theater/dance audition. I can't even find all of my dance shoes. I have an entire bag of shoes somewhere but it's probably in storage. I guess I'll hit the stores and see what I can find just to get through the audition. Wish me luck! Better yet, please pray I do not make a fool of myself!

P.S., I am not weighing in this week. I just don't feel it would be a good thing to do because of the aforementioned chocolate problem, but I am down two sizes in pants and most of my shirts are too big, so this makes me one happy camper! Also, bowling was the best its been last night! Let's hope I can keep this momentum going.

Happy Fall!





8 comments:

  1. What role are you auditioning for? My kids just got their roles for Oliver and we are all happy! Wizard of Oz is next for us and I believe Evan is going for Tin Man or Scarecrow but I think he'd be better at the Cowardly Lion. Emma wants to be Toto but she will be too tall.

    As for the walking and the temptation stuff. Oh lordy. I am not at all tempted by sweets so I am okay with Halloween and all that goes with it and the holidays but the food part. The actual food part kills me. Especially since I have to eat gluten free now because of the celiac. I crave all of it. I won't list them out because they will make you hungry! But, picture what goes into a typical Thanksgiving feast and you know what I am craving right now.

    My biggest thing still, is just going for the walk. Getting here, changing and then heading out is the hardest part for me but I know that if I do not do it in the morning before work, I never will. It was raining today. RAINING! What's that? I had all sorts of reasons for not going but I bitched and bitched and just threw myself out there. Still at 2 miles. My hips don't seem to want to do more without the lupus stuff flaring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't specify any role, just an audition for adult roles. Camryn said I'd make a good tree. You know, the one who slaps Dorothy for taking the apple? Yeah, that one. A tree. That way I won't have to sing! LOL

      And two miles is great Tina! I am so proud of you! Keep getting out there and doing what you can. I change my clothes here at work and head out as well, but when the day is done. Sometimes that is hard too. I just want to drive home instead of stopping at the arboretum right here on campus. But the weather this week is freaking amazing. I feel like I am in SoCal!

      Delete
    2. I do like walking here on campus. It's a pretty campus, even though it's in the middle of the city. Not as pretty as your arboretum but pretty enough!

      I think it would be fun to get ANY part in that show. It's such a fun show. I love the witch! The bad one.

      Thanks for the encouragement. I often feel like I am my own island even though so many have the same challenges that I do. It's hard because I did get to goal twice before lupus and now with lupus, I am not sure I ever will again, but I have set a new goal and it's not anywhere close to what my true goal weight should be but who the F cares? It's better than where I am now.

      Delete
  2. its ok to slip up every now and again...if you didnt ud lose ur mind......u have a great attitude so thats half the battle!!!!! very proud of you and dnt worry ...you got this!!!!! I am very jealous over the audition....I WUD LOVE TO DO THAT!!!!! and....did you say that I can sing??????? now I kno ur crazy!!!! love you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was talking about Becky. Ha! Just kidding..... :)

      Delete
    2. bite me!!!!!! and now ima eat a big ole CANDY BAR!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Karen! Something just struck me as I was reading this--since I need to get more exercise and it can be so boring and what really helps me is an exercise buddy. I wonder if it would work to talk on the phone or do Face Time or something while walking? A virtual exercise buddy? Karla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure it would work, although we could give it a try! I don't like to carry my phone. I purposely wear shorts with pockets until I can get an armband for my iPhone. I use headphones and don't want to look at my phone for Facetime while I am walking. If I am not out of breath, then I can talk while walking, but not very often. Especially around mile 3 or 4. :)

      Delete