Monday, September 30, 2013

There's A Positive Side To Everything

It feels good to be back to my blog. Sometimes I have writers block and have no idea where to start. I begin to type something and then delete it several times. I am committed to this entry. I won't delete. I promise.

Yesterday was the National Kidney Foundation of Louisville's Kidney Walk. I am happy to say I raised over $400 for the cause! I owe a big THANK YOU to my family and friends who donated. Your support means the world to me! I am sad to say, I didn't actually get to walk. A tractor-trailer carrying a load of cows overturned on I64 westbound and it was shut down for over 6 hours. Me and the family attempted our trip anyway, despite the detours. We had a nice drive through some small towns of Kentucky. It's amazing what you see when you are taken off of your normal path. We saw rabbits for sale, log cabins, family cemeteries, a beagle sniffing out something on the road, beautiful lakes and creeks, cows that weren't running for their lives, horses, a lot of silos, people standing on their porch wondering "where in the heck is all of this traffic coming from?", tractors, a Porsche and a long line of traffic weaving through small communities. It was interesting to say the least. I try to see the positive in everything, but I'm going to be honest, once I arrived at the walk, I wasn't in a positive mood. I had been texting (not while driving - my hubby was my transcriptionist) with our team captain, who was stuck in the same traffic, and she gave up and turned around and went home. With our team tshirts. I, however, did not give up. I arrived at Waterfront Park in Louisville and it was easy to tell everyone was leaving. The walk was over. It had been raining and I was told turnout was low to begin with. I swiftly ran to the registration desk, because if there was one thing I was in need of, it was a tshirt! I only wore a spaghetti strap tank top in anticipation of getting my team tshirt when I arrived and I was freezing! I shared my traffic nightmare with some of the people at the tent and they didn't seem to be very sympathetic. One of them got me my shirt I earned for my donations. Then she had the gaul to say to me, "at least you weren't in the wreck". I wish you could've seen the look on my face. She's lucky she didnt' get a smack. I politely replied, "yes, that's nice, but I have been working for this for months and it was very important to me to walk". Then she said, "well, we can take your picture by the NKF arch?" - smack #2 almost ensued. I politely said, "well, thanks for that". Of course, it's not her fault the semi crashed and there were cows running for their lives and everyone coming to the walk on I64 westbound couldn't make it. But her sunny disposition is not something I was interested in witnessing. I put on my tshirt and walked to the staging area for a picture. I tried to smile, but let's face it, I was over it. I was truly having a great hair day when we left and I got out of the car in rain. I've lost almost 15lbs but you sure can't tell in the picture. My daughter had a friend who lives in the area meet us and we all went to a late lunch at my favorite pizza place in Louisville, Wick's. A nice pie and a Smithwick's made everything all better. The nap when I got home was fabulous as well.

I'm trying not to be bitter, but I am seriously disappointed I didn't get to walk. The positivity is welling up inside of me though and the best part is that our team was #3 in fundraising for Corporate teams and the NKF of Louisville exceeded their goal this year! Isn't that all that counts? Yes, it is! :)

P.S. Good news on the weight loss front - I am down 14lbs as of this morning's weigh-in! I've increased my walk to 4 miles when I can and last week's bowling was MUCH improved! (see, there's some more positivity for ya!)



4 comments:

  1. i'm very proud that u muttled thru and at least met ur personal goal to see it thru!! glad that u got ur fav. pizza too!!!!!! keep up the good work~~~~~LOVE U !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't even get to walk in the race?? How horrible! I mean, it's wonderful that you still raised the money but I totally get why you were initially down. I would have been upset too. BUT, as you said, you are up to 4 miles now and down nearly 15 lbs, that is a lot of goodness to come from all of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?? Huge let down. But that's okay. There's always next year! :)

      Delete